Academic Chairs used to be thought of as stately faculty members who set the tone for a department and watched others fall into line.
There are still success stories, but more frequently chairs complain about being picked on by people inside and outside the department and about how much time they devote to pushing paper.
Academic Chairs lack the power of middle managers in the corporate world, yet they are still responsible for their department's bottom line.
This workshop is designed to provide up-to-date and practical leadership information. There will be an opportunity for feedback (self and others) on your leadership practices. Reflection and dialogue time will be provided and encouraged.
A facilitator will also meet One-to-One with each participant for a sixty-minute consultation.
As chairs fulfill their role, they are exposed to challenges unlike those they experienced as department members. Typically, Chairs receive little opportunity for orientation and preparation for this new assignment. Knowing self better, getting clarity around the situation and acquiring new skills are at the center of leadership development. This workshop is designed to assist department chairs in their growth and development.
- Identify key interpersonal behaviors that build respect and trust within a department
- Use a 360° feedback instrument to identify leadership strengths and developmental needs
- Understand the expectations and needs of their dean
- Develop a new understanding of "Conflict" and how to experience its greatest benefits
- Identify your personal approach to conflict and change
- Appreciate, value, and utilize the diversity within your department
- Use current research tools to identify "Chair-specific" skills that are strengths and those needing development
- Create a plan/strategy for personal leadership development
The program is generally conducted with an existing work team or group. By exposing all the members of the team to the same exercises and models, they have a shared experience upon which to build. This program can be adapted to better fit your organization through the use of different modules. And, you decide where and when your program will take place.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 26, 2018