If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, you do not need a visa to study in Belgium.

If you are a national from a country outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland, you will most likely need to apply for one in order to enroll as a student for a period of longer than three months.

Students from some countries (such as the US) are not required to obtain a visa for Belgium if their stay is no longer than 90 days.

Students from the People’s Republic of China must obtain an academic evaluation certificate issued by the Academic Assessment Centre (APS) before being authorized to enroll in a higher education institution in Belgium.

In order to apply for a Belgian student visa, you must:

  • Be accepted into a course or study program by an accredited Belgian educational institution
  • Pay the registration fees (this will be refunded if your visa application is rejected)
  • Contact your nearest Belgian embassy or consulate in your country. The embassy will help you determine whether you need a student visa, and will guide you through the visa application.

For a long stay study visa, it is recommended that you make an appointment at the embassy at least two months before your departure. For a short stay visa, make an appointment at least 3 weeks before your departure.

For more information about Belgian student visas, visit

News and Articles

Read about important educational news, career information, and student experiences.

March 28, 2019

Approximately 300 million people on the five continents speak French, which is the official language of 29 countries, second only to English...