Nationals of EU and EEA member countries, as well as Swiss nationals, do not need study visas for Austria. However, when staying in Austria for longer than 3 months, they have to apply for a confirmation of registration at the immigration office.

Other foreign students have to apply for a residence permit for study at the Austrian representative authority before entry to Austria, after they have received the notification of admission. You have to apply for a student visa in person at the Austrian embassy or consulate before traveling to Austria.

There are three types of visas available for foreign students:

1) Travel visa C ("Schengenvisa"): entitles you to stay in Austria and in all other Schengen countries for a maximum of 90 days.

2) Visa D (Austrian National visa, Aufenthaltsvisum D) - for stays of at least 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months. Visa applications should ideally be submitted at least 3-4 weeks but no more than 3 months prior to departure. This visa is not necessary if you are a Japanese national.

3) Temporary residence permit for students (Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierende) - for stays longer than 6 months. Your visa application should be submitted at least 3 months before the intended arrival in Austria.

For more information about studying in Austria and Austrian student visas, visit

News and Articles

Read about important educational news, career information, and student experiences.

January 30, 2018

The Austrian higher education system has been declared “one of the most open and equal systems in Europe.” Given its many appeals, it’s hard...